This is going to be a looooong post. Sorry, not sorry.
Maybe it’s the warm weather, but it seems like at this point every year we get a little over our heads in the project department. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fabulous to get shit done around the house and make things pretty, but it seems like we’ve been moving non-stop on projects since April. So without further ado, here’s a list of what’s been happening:
1) The kitchen: Oh yes, the kitchen is still not complete. You heard that right, folks. Still. Not. Complete.
We put up a backsplash. We chose a tile that I didn’t think would be too difficult to cut and looked good with the countertops.
Look at the optimism here:
Neither one of us had ever tiled anything (I know, super surprising). So I of course thought that it would be no big deal. You guys, it’s kind of a big deal. Firstly, there are the giant, scary warnings all over the grout packaging that says horrifying things like “DO NOT GET ON SKIN, CONTAINS IRRITANTS” and “DO NOT INHALE.” Of course the first things that happened when opening the package was dust inhalation. Then, once mixed the grout is generally smeared all over everything, including skin, but you don’t want to stop for fear that everything is going to dry too quickly. So it was a frantic afternoon of putting up tile with the Drewid.
This small corner section took us 3 hours.
That was over 3 weeks ago, and we’ve had zero progress since then. It’s not our fault though!! We are still waiting on new cabinet fronts from the cabinet supplier/installer. It has literally taken longer to get in the replacement fronts than re doing the entire kitchen. You could say that I’m pretty upset about it.
In the meantime, we are using our kitchen fully, but there are still many drawers and cabinets that have no handle because they are not the final cabinet front. Sigh. Here is what’s left to do in the kitchen:
⇒ Caulk backsplash (we had to special order the caulk to match the grout, but we do have it in our possession now)
⇒ Put all switchplates back
⇒ Add fronts to pantry shelves (we now have a nail gun, so this should be done soon!)
⇒ New cabinet fronts (waiting on cabinet people)
⇒ Fill in nail holes in cabinets (also waiting on cabinet people)
⇒ Add all cabinet pulls (WAITING ON CABINET PEOPLE!!)
⇒ Also there is still a wall I haven’t painted. I should probably get on that.
2) If the kitchen wasn’t enough, we decided that it would be a good idea to finally finish the back staircase. Andrew and I started this almost as soon as we moved in last year, and it’s been an
eyesore on going project ever since. I’m REALLY glad though that we waited so long. If we had finished this project earlier, the steps would have been stained dark with white trim. I realized that since we have such narrow steps white trim would have gotten dirty quite easily. Also, I had the basement steps to look at. After less than a year, the white risers were starting to get scuffed. So I changed my mind, and now we are in the final stages of completion. These steps are a post all by themselves (including an explanation of what happens when you apply polyurethane too thick. spoiler alert, it takes 3 weeks to dry), so I’ll just post a little before and progress photo for now, with a complete post coming soon.
PROGRESS (These steps are stained, poly’d and primed!)
Here’s what’s left to do:
⇒ 1 more coat of paint
⇒ adding quarter round to the landings
3) Our yard! I hate yardwork. It is literally the worst punishment ever. The only thing I really like doing is growing our herbs and veggies in the “food plot.” It’s about all I can care for without making me want to curl into a ball and hide from all the spiders. Who am I kidding,I want to hide from all the spiders all the time. Largely, we’ve hired out the work to be done this season, but there are still some unfinished things that need attention…. shit, this probably deserves a post of its own too.
Look, I grew some radishes this year!
4) Uh, closets. Yeah. We decided that now was the time to build closets. Our last apartment was about the same size as our current place (3 bed, 1 bath). BUT, there was significantly more storage space in our previous place. In total, we lost 4 closets in our move (5 if you count the pantry closet that we changed to open shelving in our kitchen reno). Luckily, we gained a basement that wasn’t terrifying to go into, so we called it a win. Unfortunately, after living here for an entire year, the 4 closet loss was felt. There is no place to store coats, linens, or a vacuum cleaner. We’ve made do by adding storage furniture, but finally decided to convert the useless hallway into 2 closets. It’s going to be epic. Look, we’ve already started to fill the house with drywall and build things!
So that’s what’s going on for now. Sister and I are both working on more posts so we don’t have a long MIA stretch again.